Page 5 of 12
Charter Act - 1833
- End of Company’s monopoly even in tea and trade with China. Company was asked to close its commercial business at the earliest.
- All restrictions on European immigration into India and acquisition of land and property in India by them were removed, legalizing European colonization of India.
- Governor General of Bengal to be Governor General of India; all powers, administrative and financial, were centralized in the hands of the Governor – General – in – Council. (1st Governor General of India – Lord William Bentinck).
- President of Board of Control became the minister for Indian affairs.
- A law member (without power to vote) was added to the Executive Council of the Governor General. Macaulay was the first Law member. This increased the Council’s strength to four, with it began the Indian Legislature.
- A law commission was constituted for codification of laws.
- The Act threw open to ail, irrespective of religion, place of birth, descent and colour, services under the Company.